Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Verbing a Noun, or Sock of Doom, part 3

My dad was a writer, news editor, proofreader, grammar guru, and a good guy. He taught me most of what I know about reading, writing, spelling, grammar, and editing, along with the regular Dad-daughter stuff.

One of his peeves was the verbing of nouns. In other words, taking a perfectly good noun, and using it as a verb. For example, a 'gift' is a thing you give to someone. You don't 'gift' something. "I gifted her a set of china" is as silly as "I pied her in the face". Now, throwing a pie in someone's face, that's funny. Pie-ing them just sounds funny.

I'm not a purist like my Dad. While I eschew the verbing of nouns as a general rule, I allow for a little wiggle room. I don't say 'gifting', but I do say 'regifting'. I think it's a funny word, and a funny concept. And if something is funny, it's all good.

So, with that exposition, I can say that today I gusseted the Sock of Doom. Yes, folks, the S.O.D. now has a heel and gussets. It's beginning to look a lot like its big sister. I'm tempted to say "I'm past the danger zone", but I won't. You didn't read it here. No. Nyet. Non. Because then the knitting goddesses, who tend to be fickle, might just have a laugh at my expense. And that kind of laugh, that kind of funny, is not all good.

That kind of joke doesn't laugh me. It sorrows me.

No comments: