Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Fascinator of Awesomeness

This Christmas, feeling even more bogged down than usual, I knit for only one person. My young friend E., age 9, wanted Christmas clothes for four of her stuffed animals. She was looking forward to her holiday trip to England to visit relatives, and of course, the gang needed some things to dress up in.

And, to answer your next question: Yes, I will have pictures, as soon as she arrives home. In my usual manner, I finished the last outfit five minutes before I had to drive them to the airport,  so I'll get photos later.

Really! You can come after me with a set of Lace Addi Clics and poke me about the head and face if I fail!

So, for now, words will have to suffice.

I made all the outfits out of Plymouth Holiday Lights. I knit a skirt and a fascinator (look it up) for Kitty the pillow pet. The red skirt had a picot-edged hem at the top, through which I threaded a crochet chain for a drawstring, as Kitty doesn't have much of a waist. The bottom was slightly flared, and was finished with an interminable-to-knit white ruffle.

Kitty's red fascinator was constructed like a tam, very flat, again with a picot edged-hem. I decorated the top with two jingle bells and two fancy spotted chicken feathers. It's tied on at a jaunty angle (E. didn't want to stick a hatpin in Kitty's poor head) with a green satin ribbon. Very fancy!

Pumpkin, E.'s loved-up favorite stuffed cat, got a green Christmas cardigan vest with white trim and a single button at the top, and a tall pointy red Santa hat with white trim and ear-holes to help keep it on.

Bunny, who is built like a small person, not like a real bunny, got a dressy gown with a red bell-shaped ruffled skirt and a knitted-on green sleeveless bodice. Red satin ribbons are threaded into the eyelets at one side and tied into bows. Bunny would have looked nice in a fascinator too, but there was an ear-to-available-head-area ratio that would have required a 1/8" fascinator. I didn't want to insult her dignity that way.

Finally, Snowflake, a white horse, got a capelike affair that was essentially a rectangle with a hole to allow his head to go through. It should protect him from the worst of the weather. It's not decorated, since this is the piece I finished with only 5 minutes to spare. (I'm not a procastinator, I specialize in Just in Time delivery!)

Whew. Holiday knitting done for another year.

Now to turn my attention to the bottomless UFO tub which should carry me through 2020 and beyond.

Oh, and keep away from me with those Addi Clics!

No comments: